Friday, March 1, 2013

RR Auctions Madame de Pompadour Autograph Letter



Member of the French court (1721–1764) who was the chief mistress of Louis XV from 1745 to her death. Rare partial autograph letter, in French, one page, 4.25 x 6.5, June 30. Portion of a larger letter to the Duke d’Aiguillon. In part (translated): “Several attacks of very severe fever, and the unhappy event that happened, Monsieur, have afflicted me in every respect, so that I have not had the strength to write you. The memorandum that you sent me has been transmitted to the Council of Commerce, I am very glad of that, because I have friends there who will take interest in the cause of the Malouns [the inhabitants of Saint-Malo]; tell them, I pray you, that their zeal for the King makes me strongly desire the success of their enterprise; if I think about them with so much concern, judge, Monsieur, of the sentiments that your courage, your intelligence, and your attachment to the service of the King have inspired in me on your behalf; they do not leave anything to be desired.” Reverse of second integral page bears an address panel in another hand as well as a mostly intact red wax seal. In fine condition, with a pencil notation along bottom edge. RR Auction COA.

No comments:

Post a Comment