Saturday, April 20, 2013

RR Auction Greta Garbo Autograph Letter and Signature

Autograph letter, in pencil, one page, no date, but envelope postmarked Los Angeles, July 15, 1950. The letter to her friend Allen Porter reads, in full: “A for Allen. Thank you for sending my shorts. I have been very sad. I hurt my wrist and have been confided [sic] to the backyard for two weeks now. I suppose I should have stayed in Manhattan. It is difficult for me to write on account of it hurts. But in spite of all my ‘bitterness’ I send you my fondest. You may hug your friends from me also, but that is as far as I can go today because of being ‘bitter.’ Thank you again.” Under the closing, Garbo has drawn an arrow adding “Sounds like a shoppe.” Accompanied by the original mailing envelope, addressed in pencil by Garbo. Letter and envelope are matted and framed, with an irregularly clipped and light red pencil signature, “Greta Garbo,” on a yellow slip (removed from one of her tax returns), and an original Bull portrait, to an overall size of 27.5 x 25.5. In fine condition, with intersecting folds to letter and moderate creasing to portrait. Accompanied by a letter of authenticity from George Sanders, as well as other Sanders correspondence to the original owner.



Allen Porter was a curator at MOMA who was one of the only people with whom Garbo discussed her career. He would reportedly screen her movies for her in private, however, Garbo ended their friendship when he granted an interview about her. Although the exact reason for Garbo’s “bitterness” mentioned in the letter may never be known, it may very well have to do with Porter’s indiscretion and Garbo’s abandonment of Hollywood for New York after a final screen test in 1949. The letter shows a longing to return to a private and simplistic life in New York, where she would continue to add to the Garbo mystique for the next 30 years, declining interviews, film offers, public appearances, and practically any interaction with her fans. A boldly written and insightful piece of correspondence from one of the supreme rarities among Hollywood personalities. Pre-certified PSA/DNA and RR Auction COA.


No comments:

Post a Comment