Tuesday, April 17, 2012

RR Autograph Auctions Oliver Cromwell

English soldier and statesman (1599–1658) who led Parliamentary forces in the English Civil War, waged war against Scotland and Ireland and, in 1653, following the execution of Charles I, became Lord Protector of Great Britain, a position he held until his death in 1658. After a yearlong reign by his son, Richard, the British throne was restored (to Charles II) and Cromwell’s body was exhumed and posthumously ‘executed.’ ALS in Old English, signed “O Cromwell,” one page, 7.25 x 11.5, March 8, 1648. Letter to his son Richard’s future father-in-law. In full: “Yours I have received; and have given farther instructions to this Bearer, Mr. Stapylton, to treat with you about the business in agitation between your Daughter and my Son. I am engaged to you for all your civilities and respects already manifested. I trust there will be a right understanding between us, and a good conclusion; and though I cannot particularly remember the things spoken of at Farnham, to which your Letter seems to refer me, yet I doubt not but I have sent the offer of such things now as will give mutual satisfaction to us both. My attendance upon public affairs will not give me leave to come down unto you myself; I have sent unto you this Gentleman with my mind. I salute Mrs. Mayor, though unknown, with the rest of your Family. I commit you with the progress of the Business, to the Lord; and rest.” In very good condition, with intersecting folds, one through a single letter of signature, scattered light toning and foxing, and two wax remnants to left edge.

http://rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=210

No comments:

Post a Comment